Are you planning a move to your next abode any time soon? It is important to plan and make arrangements for your big move at least 4 weeks in advance to ensure a smooth and efficient transition. Other than the actual packing of items in your home and checking of furniture that you intend to move along with you, there are also other essentials such as making arrangements for the caring of any pets or infants during the moving process.
It may seem like a lot to take in but fret not! Minimise the headaches and stress involved in your home moving journey with this checklist, complete with a timeline.
Before your start packing and making the necessary planning to prepare for your big move, these are a few things to keep in mind:
Remember to label each box after packing according to
- which room it belongs to
- to whom the items in the box belong to
- whether or not the items in the box need to be handled with care
Pack and place items that you will need to use more urgently on top of the boxes that you place them in so that you have easy access to them.
4 weeks prior to the big move
- Go through your items and furniture and make a list of which you will be taking with you to your new place.
- Start purchasing things such as bubble wrap, masking tape and markers. You will need to use these when packing to seal boxes and for labeling.
- Begin using up perishables like refrigerated food items and cleaning materials such as dishwashing and laundry detergent, and shampoos and body wash. This will help reduce the number of things you will need to pack with you.
3 weeks prior to moving
- Make arrangements for family or friends to care for your young child, if any, on the day that you will be moving. It will be easier for you as you will not have to worry about keeping baby safe during the tedious moving process.
- Make arrangements for your pet(s) at a pet care center on the day that you will be moving. You can choose to leave them there for one night or half a day.
- Go to the respective agencies or websites to make changes to your address for your bank statements, credit cards, SP services, newspaper subscriptions and car license. Inform them of the date that you will be moving to your new address and have the changes made.
2 weeks prior to the home moving day
- Start packing items that you do not use on a daily basis, for example, your library of books, items in the store, DVD/CD collection and kitchen supplies that you will not need to use.
- Make measurements of the dimensions of your furniture and your new home to arrange for the placement of each piece of furniture at the new place. This way, you can tell the movers where to place each item when they arrive there on moving day.
1 week prior to moving
- Start clearing out your laundry and arrange the clothing you will be wearing for the next 7 days before moving. Pack the rest of your wardrobe into luggage bags.
3-4 days prior to the big move
- Go through your kitchen and bathroom cabinets to throw out any expired items and clean the bottles of the things that you will be taking with you. Pack these into boxes and label all boxes clearly.
- Place your valuables in a bag and put all important documents into a folder that you will take with you at all times during moving day.
- Pack items in every room in the house such as shoes, children’s toys, items in the study, garden or balcony.
1 day prior to home moving
- Defrost and clear out your fridge, packing everything that you will be bringing with you to your new home into boxes.
- Do last-minute laundry and pack the clean clothes into a bag together with bedsheets that you intend to use on your first night at your new home. Pack towels and other toiletries as well for use for the first couple of days.
- Pack a personal backpack with items such as your laptop, ipad, wallet, phone and other necessary documents.
You are now ready for the big moving day! Before the movers arrive at your home, settle your young children and/or pets with their caretakers and call the moving company to confirm the time that they will be arriving.
This checklist does not include the process of doing research on and liaising with the moving company because we can do all that for you! One less thing to worry about! Simply head over here to enquire for more information on how we can help simplify your move.